DCLM Daily Manna 1 October 2021 Deeper Life Devotional By Pastor W.F Kumuyi
Topic: Receiving True Freedom
TEXT: Exodus 20:1-17
1. And God spake all these words, saying,
- I am the LORD thy God, which have brought thee out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage.
- Thou shalt have no other gods before me.
- Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth;
- Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them; for I the LORD thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me;
- And shewing mercy unto thousands of them that love me, and keep my commandments.
- Thou shalt not take the name of the LORD thy God in vain; for the LORD will not hold him guiltless that taketh his name in vain.
- Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy.
- Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work;
- But the seventh day is the sabbath of the LORD thy God; in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates;
- For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day; wherefore the LORD blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it.
- Honour thy father and thy mother; that thy days may be long upon the land which the LORD thy God giveth thee.
- Thou shalt not kill.
- Thou shalt not commit adultery.
- Thou shalt not steal.
- Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour.
- Thou shalt not covet thy neighbour’s house, thou shalt not covet thy neighbour’s wife, nor his manservant, nor his maidservant, nor his ox, nor his ass, nor anything that is thy neighbour’s.
“I am the LORD thy God, which have brought thee out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage. Thou shalt have no other gods before me.” – (Exodus 20:2,3)
DCLM Daily Manna 1 October 2021 Devotional MESSAGE:
There was a stubborn female slave that no one wanted to own, not even for an exchange. Then she was taken to the auction office where slaves were sold. Because no one wanted her, the auctioneer reduced her price to a ridiculously lower amount, yet no slave trader came forward. Then, suddenly, a young rich gold miner signified to the auctioneer that he would buy her at a surprisingly higher price.
As soon as she was released, she looked up and spat on his face. With calmness and composure, the new master cleaned his eyes, and took her into the legal office, paid the sum and added yet another huge charge for her freedom to live by herself. He handed all the documents to the slave and calmly said, ‘Go home, you are now free to be on your own, here is the freedom certificate’. In utter disbelief, the slave could not contain her tears. She had thought he bought her to molest her as others had previously done.
God rescued the Israelites from bondage through great signs and wonders. It took the maximum price of the death of the firstborn of the house of Egypt for them to be released from slavery. God gave to them a moral law that would guide and keep them free from all spiritual slavery. Though they were free from the Egyptian taskmasters, they were not free from the nature of sin and satanic taskmasters.
Most people think that setting rules, laws and norms are a restriction to their freedom. In fact, some crave a liberal society where laws and norms do not exist. They think when there is no law, they will have the fullest pleasure of liberty. On the contrary, laws are given to help us check the excesses of human nature. God’s laws are even better because they make us aware of what can keep us within the circumference of freedom.
THOUGHT FOR THE DAY:
True freedom comes from God and obedience to His Word.
THE BIBLE IN ONE YEAR:
DCLM Daily Manna 1 October 2021 Deeper Life Devotional Message was written by Pastor William Folorunso Kumuyi; is the founder and General Superintendent of the Deeper Life Bible Church situated at KM 42 on the busy Lagos-Ibadan Expressway, Nigeria.